We are celebrating our 5-year anniversary at EHChocolatier. That’s 5 years of pecan clusters, chocolate chews, and our signature bonbons. Five years of markets, new machines, and wrapping caramels. Catharine and Elaine couldn't resist putting together a box of their favorite bonbon flavors from the last 5 years. While you enjoy the special anniversary box, here are 10 fun facts you may not know about your favorite chocolatiers!
- Elaine and Catharine met because of a wedding cake. In 1999, a mutual friend asked them to bake a wedding cake and deliver it to Martha’s Vineyard. Neither of them had ever made a wedding cake, they didn’t know each other at all, and on top of that, it was hot outside. What could have been a total disaster turned into the beginning of a long friendship and a successful business partnership.
- This is a FAMILY business. Even though Elaine and Catharine aren’t related, family is at the heart of our handmade chocolates and confections. It’s very typical to find their sisters in the packaging area, or Elaine’s kids and Catharine’s nephews providing tasting support. Even Catharine’s granddaughter, Shea, provides much needed back-up. There is love in each of our handmade creations.
- We prefer chocolate to technology. Although we wish we could play with chocolate all day, as we grow our business requires more and more time in front of a computer. We email a lot with customers, work on personalizing custom orders, send newsletters, and keep active on social networks.
- We mail A LOT. If we could have another title other than chocolatier, we would call ourselves professional mailers! In 5 years, we have shipped over 50,000 of our products locally and all the way to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Alaska, England, Canada and Japan. And we know exactly what time each post office closes in Boston.
- The first store to carry our chocolates was Formaggio Kitchen. It was so cool to see our product on the shelves for the first time – we were thrilled. We couldn’t believe they wanted to carry our chocolates! Who, us?
- We get very unusual custom requests. From artwork turned bonbon to wedding proposals, we love being challenged to create something special for our customers.
- We drink on the job. From our Beernut Bars to our Pecan Clusters, we incorporate our favorite spirits into the flavor of our products. We also taste test coffees and teas in order to get the perfect flavors for our bonbons. So fun!
- We’re open in Somerville Monday through Friday. You can stop by our kitchen to taste, chat, and hang out! We also have chocolate classes available where you can learn how to make bonbons.
- We love winning Best of Boston! Elaine and Catharine can call Boston home for a combined 70 years (they were very young when they arrived). Being recognized in their home city for Best Chocolate two years in a row was a special honor.
- This is only the beginning. Every Christmas after our busiest time in the kitchen, we enjoy high tea with the family – a different place each year. Each time, we reflect on how fortunate we are to be able to follow our passion, work with a wonderful group of people, and have families that love and support us.
Thank you to everyone who has supported us and enjoyed our chocolate these past 5 years. We look forward to the next delicious chapter of EHChocolatier!
*Don't forget to order our special anniversary box available for a limited time!